Russell deCarle is a founding member, lead vocalist, bassist, and contributing songwriter to the multi-platinum, Juno award winning, country roots group Prairie Oyster.
As a solo artist Russell has appeared on CBC TVís Songwriters Circle, opened for Merle Haggard on his cross-Canada tour, traveled coast-to-coast with Bluebird North Songwritersí Tour, and was a featured guest on Stuart McLeanís Vinyl Cafť Christmas Tour, 2008. Russell has also appeared as a guest vocalist on numerous occasions (Bebop Cowboys, Rita Chiarelli, Terra Hazelton) and has won two SOCAN Song of the Year awards.
2010 sees the release of Russellís long-awaited and much-anticipated solo recording Under the Big Big Sky. deCarle penned nine of the eleven songs and is featured on vocals and rhythm guitar.
The album was recorded with the core rhythm section of deCarle (rhythm guitar), George Koller (bass), Mark Kelso, Al Cross (drums), Steve Briggs (rhythm guitar & acoustic guitar solos), and John Sheard (piano).
Some of the featured guests include:
- Kevin Breit, electric guitar (No Rule No School For Love)
- Amos Garrett, electric guitar (Baby Donít Come ĎRound Here Anymore, Canít Find The Song in My Heart)
- David Wilcox, electric slide guitar (Donít Ask The Question)
- Keith Glass, electric guitar (Girl With The Golden Hair)
- Russ Boswell, bass (East of the Sun, West of the Moon)
- Denis Keldie, accordion and Hammond organ
- Drew Jurecka, violin
- Dala (Amanda Walther, Sheila Carabine), background vocals (Shooting Star, Under The Big Big Sky)
- Jim Cuddy (Blue Rodeo), harmony vocal on Donít Ask The Question.
Under the Big Big Sky was produced by John Sheard and engineered and mixed by L. Stu Young.